Quick and easy. Cooked rice fried rice with vegetables and tofu. A perfect way to use up leftover rice.
This fried rice recipe I share today is a fusion if both Indian and Chinese cuisines. This is an excellent way to use left over rice or vegetables. Tofu gives this vegetarian fried rice staying power from protein, and the vegetables boost fibre. I have used low sodium (salt) soya sauce.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger either grated or finely chopped
- Tofu ( firm) 1 cup cut in cubes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped ( you can also add green pepper)
- 1 cup broccoli cut into small florets
- Green chillies 2 finely chopped (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- Oil for cooking
- Chopped green spring onions ( optional)
- This recipe comes together quickly. Before you get started, make sure that all of your vegetables are cut and prepared and within an arm’s reach from the cooker.
- Heat a wok or a pan, add oil, when the oil is hot add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
- (I’m suggesting that you start over medium-high heat, but if at any point you catch a whiff of oil or food burning, reduce the heat to medium.)
- After one minute, add the carrots and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the carrots are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the all the veggies and mix well. Cook for one minute.
- Now add the cooked rice and mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is hot and starting to turn golden on the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the soya sauce and vinegar, mix well.
- Add the spring onions, mix well and serve
- Rice should be cold, or left over to get best texture to the fried rice, freshly done rice becomes mushy.
- Use a large wok or pan, remember your pan should be hot enough.
- You can use a variety of vegetables like cabbage, green beans, red cabbage etc. and all of them work well as long as they were cut into small pieces.
- The vegetables shouldn’t be overcooked- they should remain crunchy
- You can also add eggs (beaten) to the fried rice. I tend to fry the egg separately and then add it at the end.