I am really excited about sharing this recipe with you because it will change the way you look at French fries.
I was tired and hungry after a long day at work. I wanted to eat something tasty and comforting. No, I don’t like ready meals and I wasn’t in the mood for egg on toast.
Food makes me happy. I wanted a bit of spice and I wanted it in no time. So I decided to make the French fries and peas stir fry.
The idea of using French fries was my mum’s. She had suggested using the fries as a short cut instead of peeling and cutting potatoes in Indian cooking some time back. I didn’t pay any attention to it at the time, but like most other things you remember and pay heed to mum’s advice when they are not around.
This is a simple fuss free recipe. It took me under 15 minutes to prepare. No preparation required.
I ate it with salad. This is versatile- you can have it with pitta bread, or toast or as an accompaniment to a main dish.
Hope you enjoy it as much as much as I did.
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil (vegetable)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- ½ teaspoon garam masala ( mix of spices)
- Two handful of frozen French fries ( from my freezer)
- 1 cup of frozen peas (Petit Pois)
- Lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan until it is hot.
- Add the red chillies and cumin seeds. The oil has to be hot to make the cumin seeds pop (splutter in oil).
- Add the French fries and peas (at the same time) and stir the vegetables on high heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on a high flame ( do not cover)
- Then add the salt and garam masala and lower the flame. Cook for another 6-7 minutes or until done.
- Squeeze some lemon / lime juice